I haven’t posted in a while – for a very unfortunate reason. On July 25, I had a stroke. Me, 46 years-old and otherwise relatively healthy with no obvious risk factors (don’t smoke, have low blood pressure and normal cholesterol). Luckily, my smart husband recognized the signs immediately (I was trying to get out of bed in the morning to get ready for work, but the left side of my body was numb so I fell out, and when he asked me what I was doing, he couldn’t understand my answer. I was trying to say, “‘I’m getting up to shower.” Then he turned on the light to look at me and he said my face was drooping on the left side. So, he called 911 immediately, against my protests. I honestly didn’t think anything was wrong. I figured I’d slept wrong and my left arm and leg were just asleep. And I thought I was talking funny because I still had my mouth guard in.

Thank goodness he acted fast. I ended up having surgery to remove the blood clot from my brain within 90 minutes or so of that call. His fast action probably saved me months of additional rehab or permanent damage. As it stands now, I will probably make a full recovery and I am well on my way. Just typing this post is huge progress. After weeks of intense occupational therapy, my left hand is back in action. Not quite 100%, but getting close. And after speech therapy, my face and smile are almost back to normal, along with my ability to swallow regular liquids without choking. And I’m doing physical therapy to help gain strength back in my left leg. It still sort of drags a little.

All this while the kids were gearing up to go back to school, and sending my first-born off to college (we move him to the dorm at KU tomorrow). Middle school and high school started today for Gabby and Henry. 8th grade and 11th grade. Oh, and did I mention that I can’t drive yet? I have to get cleared by the neurologist before I can get behind the wheel again. My follow-up with neuro is Sept. 11. I’ve been on short-term disability this whole time and probably go back to work Sept. 12 as long as I get the thumbs up from the neurologist. I anticipate getting the all-clear since I’m doing so well. I’m much stronger than I was when I got home from the hospital! I’m not getting daily headaches anymore or having to take pain medication every morning. And I’m not needing daily naps.

My kids are handling this so well. Sammy (18 and a BIG guy!) had to help Steve keep me from continuing to try to get out of bed the morning of the stroke so Steve could focus on calling 911. (I was adamant about getting up and showering, not realizing I couldn’t stand!) Sammy told me today that that freaked him out quite a bit, but after I left in the ambulance, he tried to hold it together so he wouldn’t scare Henry and Gabby even more. Gabby slept through all the commotion. Henry woke up to see the paramedics taking me out of my room. How scary! But I think this whole incident brought us all even closer.

My friends and family have been so amazing through all of this. Steve set up a MealTrain.com account because so many people kept asking when they could bring us meals. That made it easy for people to pick a date. We got spoiled with all the great food coming our way every day since I got out of the hospital. I’ve received so many cards and flowers and well-wishes on Facebook. It’s been so humbling and overwhelming! I have such an awesome “village” caring for me. I’m incredibly fortunate!

Hopefully I’ll be back to blogging about my favorite topic, Gen Z, very soon!